In 2018, restoration of the church bell and bell cote was completed. This work was undertaken by John Taylor & Co., who are based in Loughborough. They are the last remaining bell foundry in the United Kingdom.
Dating from 1619, the bell was recast in 1702 by the Aberdeen founder Patrick Kilgour, thanks to the generosity of Sir James Justice who lived in nearby East Crichton House. The work involved fitting a new independent crownstaple to the bell, a new clapper and replacement of the half wheel and headstock in traditional hardwood. While the bell was away undergoing specialist repair, the masonry on the bellcote was repointed. The bell was rehung at the beginning of November and rang out at the Service of Remembrance, marking the centenary of the end of the First World War.
The Trustees gratefully acknowledge the contribution of the Garfield Weston Foundation, The Dalrymple Donaldson Fund, The Leche Trust and WREN – The Scottish Landfill Communities Fund, together with a number of individuals, whose support made this project possible.
For pictures of the bell restoration, click here.